Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Road to a Show

I haven't done a show in a couple years now.  I forgot how much work it is.  Not so much the jewelry making for me as I have a lot of inventory.

 It's everything else. I decided to go for a new look in my display style.  Instead of funky, I am going cleaner, more sophisticated.

I even have a new show name and etsy shop --- Dancing Jewelry Poet.    It seemed like a good idea at the time.  Everyone in Key West who knows me knows I like to dance.  And I like to think of my work as wearable poetry.  So, well that's the name I came up with.

 I googled it AFTER I set up my new shop and then saw lots of jewelry featuring dancing shapes.   Maybe I will rethink that name down the road but not until my 250 business cards are almost gone.  ha ha.  I still have my Shanty Chic Beads etsy shop which is for my poly clay beads and jewelry.

Anyway, here's my show checklist:
  1. Make sure my square works (it wasn't  up to date - had to order a new one).
  2. Find the right tables and displays - ordering more if I need them.
  3. Get pricing tags
  4. Price all my items
  5. Get gift boxes to fit large necklaces and my larger cuffs.  Order gift bags
  6. Practice setting up so I know what risers and displays I need.  Order what I don't have.  In this case, I had a neighbor build me displays and risers and ordered necklace busts.
  7. Take pictures of my setup.  I bring these to the show to help me set up.
  8. Order fitted tablecloths.
  9. Get cash to make change for cash customers.
  10. Get storage containers to haul my stuff.
  11. Order new business cards.
  12. Make sure I have a checkout table and chair for myself.
  13. Make sure my tent is in working order.  Tent weights/bungee cords ready.
  14. Paint all my new stands and risers.  This was a lot of work but worth it.
  15. Get a battery charger to enhance the life of my battery so my phone works through the show
  16. Check printer and get inks if needed to print pictures of setup.

Here was my practice setup before my new displays were painted. I have 4 tables of jewelry - a mix of high end bead embroidered pieces (table 1) and lesser priced bead woven/bead embroidered and poly clay pieces.  Because these were shot indoors, they are not the best pics but I take them to help me remember how to set up my table.




This is my high end jewelry table. 
I ordered plain Kraft large size jewelry boxes but decided to paint them.  This was fun at first but took a lot longer than I thought it would. Especially the ones that I used alcohol inks on.  Here are some examples:


The alcohol ink boxes took long to make and even using a straw to blow the ink around I couldn't get the smell of the alcohol out of my head.  I will save the technique for another post.

 Here's a closeup of some of the high end pieces.






No comments:

Post a Comment