Monday, June 20, 2016

Mini mixed media poly clay portraits


Roberta Marks is a no nonsense artist who creates mixed media artwork that  is "often constructed with curious objects and hints of collected memories."  Having seen her exhibit recently at Key West Customs House, I was inspired to create my own mini mixed media Portrait pendants.  I started with either black, white, or muddy clay backgrounds and cut out various size squares and rectangles to create small abstract like paintings.  Most I textured using fabric or ceramic tiles and things like manual drills, and circle cutters.  In the case of the black and white one with transfer image on side one and white flower on back, I used a marxit tool, which I really liked.  I am thinking of making a blackboard and "chalking" in a saying on it.  

I painted each canvas with Genesis Heat Set paints.  I dressed some of
the canvas' with image transfers or emphera which I mod podged  before applying resin to secure the papers and objects in place. 
Side One - Includes a variety of techniques.  The images with flowers were done by finger painting on Genesis Heat Set paints onto stamps and then stamping on the baked, painted clay.  The bottom pendant has a series of yoga poses I stamped on.




Side Two - same techniques.  For pendant with green cutouts in next to last row, I first painted underneath on baked clay and added a backing which I cut out.
Side One closeup of Top Half
Side one - Closeup of Bottom Half

Side Two - Top Row

Side Two - Middle Row



Side Two - Bottom row


Close up of Letter pendants.  I especially like the pendants on the bottom.  I can see the swirls from the texture pad I used in the one on bottom left and overall it has a really rustic look.  The one on bottom right has 'Floating papers 3D look,"  which I love.



This is one of my more minimalistic "paintings"  I used a combo of finger painting and stamping to get the effect.  I like the idea of painting all around the edges  with messy strokes to give it more the look of a shabby well worn look.



I read somewhere online about using an incense stick to burn edges and holes in paper.  Makes so much sense and was quite fun!  Will try it on fabric too sometime!

4 comments:

  1. My favorite one is on side 1 the greyish one, middle one left side. It looks beautiful with the drops of colour in between and yes, like an abstract painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is the same one I think you mean, it is my fave too. I love how it looks like an old piece of wood too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your work! I will be looking through your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete