My beading style is very intuitive. Yes, I take classes and yes I look at videos and books and other people's work, but when it comes right down doing the deed, I like to just sit down with a palette of beads, and needle and thread. And, off I go.
For this project, I dug through some stash and spread it out on my bead pad. My beadweaving bead stash has not been refreshed in a while and therefore, I don't have any of the 2-hole dagger beads. I don't have many 2-holed beads at all for that matter. But, I do have some beautiful one hole dagger beads that I decided to incorporate into this piece.
I started the pendant by stitching around a winter white wood bead, adding layers before embellishing with the daggers. Once I put daggers all around, it flopped when I held it up. I expected it to do that but just figured I would find a way to resolve it.
First, I stitched some beads in a triangular shape behind the daggers. This provided some support. They no longer drooped backwards. Now, they drooped forward.
My solution to that was to stitch gold size 11's around each dagger to hold the front in place but now it looked boring. The pretty daggers were obscured by some rather bland gold tone beads.
Then, I remembered my big supersize stash of sequins!!!. I chose the silver sequins cause they seemed to pop against the rest of the piece. I liked the watery, mirror effect too.
Just for good measure, I stitched a row of size 11's around the back as I moved from sequin to sequin. Now, those babies stayed in place.
For the necklace part, I tried going with just a simple strung strand but surprising as this may sound, I felt it took away from the pendant. I had been hankering to do some freeform stitching so I decided to stitch around the beads I had strung. I like this...for now. I made it so I could easily detach the strands should I decide on a different arrangement in the future.
Here is the final product.